So once again it is the Fundamentally Fantastic Friday (Ok, don’t kill me), and so I decide to pay the new post section of my blog a visit. It will be a total lie to say I would have done it anyway, because I wouldn’t have, who am I kidding. Look at the weather outside, will ya. I mean, just look at it. It is 1:45 PM right now, and it looks like it is 7 PM for a regular summer day. It is dark, and grey, and gloomy. Just the way I love it! But it also makes me lazy, so if I hadn’t been tagged, I wouldn’t be here!
Now moving on to the tag itself, it is called ‘My Sins against Gender Stereotypes’ and the idea is to list down ten things which you’ve ever wanted, or done, which your gender essentially should not want. Or do. And then you have to tag fellow bloggers to take up the same thing. Fun? Yes indeed!
1. We are two sisters. And our parents drilled in our heads the plan of our life which was Study –> Get a job –> Be financially independent. They never gave us an option, and not even a hypothetical situation where we would quit our jobs was ever considered. It still isn’t. The Dude feels the same way, and we contribute equally to every single thing that is for ‘us’.
2. In class 8, my father taught me to ride the Scooter, a Bajaj Super. I started going to school 8 kms away on a moped from Class 9. I have even test ridden a TVS Fiero once with The Dude, and loved it. In short, I love riding bikes. Even now, I think women who ride motorcycles regularly are the coolest.
3. I walk like a guy. Period. The Dude tries to be sweet and calls it the ‘Meg Ryan’ walk, but seriously, I think that is enough said. If I were describe my own walk in one word, it would be ‘stomp’.
4. ‘Abe’ and ‘Oye’ and even ‘Saale’ were staple words in my vocabulary when I was in school. A habit I continued after I moved down south and shocked the hell out of people. I have toned down considerably now, or at least I check out the target audience before I launch into my UP-ness.
5. I have a deep, husky voice, and I love it. Of course, not when the tele-callers refer to me as Sir. But considering a deep voice does not feature in a girl’s must have list, I will put it up anyway. Oh, and I am considerably louder than girls should be.
6. I used to play Gully cricket with boys in the colony. Then I used to run around with the boys in my bus, playing pranks on unsuspecting class/schoolmates, when the other girls my age, used to daintily sit under trees and talk. Some random person once called me and the group of boys ‘DI aur uski Vaanar sena’.
7. Guys have always considered me one of them. I don’t know if this is a good thing, but once in K, we were a group of guys and three girls, having maggi, when one of the started narrating an ‘adult’ joke. He suddenly stopped, and when I asked him to continue, he said ‘ Bandiyon ko jaane de, phir batata hoon!’ I remember being very happy about it then, but while writing about it now, I am having serious second thoughts.
8. I love beer. Love it, love it, love it. Give me my chilled beer any day over the girly cocktails, vodka, rum, and even wine!
9. I cuss like nobody’s business. From the sophisticated English cuss words, to the very Ghaati and gross sounding (but having the same meaning) hindi counterparts, I have said it all. If I said that the situations deserved it, it would look like I am making excuses, but then, they did.
10. I have hit/punched/whacked/slapped people a decent number of times in my 27 years, though the concentration was more in the initial 20.
That being said, though I have finished my alloted 10, I actually have more common ones to quote. My favorite clothes are comfortable jeans, shirts, and closed shoes and at home, I am always in tees and boy shorts. Infact, right now I am wearing my black jeans, a khaki colored short, with my sleeved rolled up, and closed leather shoes. And I am chewing gum. So by definition, I am dressed totally like a guy right now, and for that matter, most of the time. I also wear NO makeup, because it makes me feel icky. But I am not sure if these are guy-like things, because I think I look this way deliberately just because this look is my definition of a cool look. Or, probably, I cannot carry off any other look as convincingly. Oh, and I have an intense dislike for pink.
Before I forget, I love Fashion magazines, junk jewellery, chocolates, shoes, handbags, perfumes and shopping. I love mushy, romantic movies, rains, pani-puris and puppies. All those being my definition of girly. But give me a choice between diamonds and a Mac book, there is no two questions about what I would choose.
I am supposed to tag 12 fellow bloggers. But since I am crazy late to do the tag, almost everyone I read has already been tagged. So I will make an attempt at spotting the ones who haven’t been tagged (edited to add: by the 4 awesome guys who tagged me :D) and tag them! I tag Rechristened, Subbulakshmi, Sagarika, Momofrs, Nu, SnS, Whiny mom, ATC and Candid (And Piyu, seriously, no thanks to you for tagging everyone I read! You left me no choice at all! Poor poor me!)
And oh dear, I tagged just 9 people, looks like I will have spend the next 12 years wearing blue pants! As opposed to pink ones, I guess I’m not that unlucky after all!
P.S. If you have any doubts about my choice between diamonds and a Mac, either you’re new here, or you haven’t been paying any attention to all that I say. Bad, very bad.